Title: Creative Catalyst. Results-Oriented Idealist. Revolutionary. ROADS Teacher.
Position Type: Regular Full-Time, 10 month
Currently in our fifth school year, ROADS (Reinventing Options for Adolescents Deserving Success) Charter High Schools presents a tremendous opportunity to prove that every student, without exception, can thrive, when given access to the right educators and environment. Our student application process and lottery gives a preference to the students most often ignored: those involved in the juvenile justice system; homeless students; former drop outs; those in foster care or child protective services; or those at least one year behind their graduation cohort. Our vision at ROADS is for ALL students to exercise self-determination and resilience, earn a Regents-level diploma and successfully navigate college and career options in order to disrupt the dropout pipeline and end the cycle of poverty. We constantly strive to achieve this vision by:
- building trusting relationships that foster a safe community, honor student perspectives, and enable intentional socio-emotional learning;
- immersing students in a tailored program that accelerates academic learning, builds professional skills, and broadens career awareness; and
- cultivating a mission-driven culture of continuous improvement that is responsive to students’ complex and diverse needs.
The classroom teacher position at ROADS is a dream job for a dynamic, thoughtful, results-oriented idealist seeking to play a role in changing the conversation around why and how we educate students in the United States today. S/he will work to unleash the passion, purpose, curiosity and sense of possibility inside each young person we serve as a means to college, career and community readiness for all.
If you are one of these needles in the haystack, then you likely have no shortage of teaching opportunities and, no matter where you go, you’ll make a difference in students’ lives. However, you will not find a group of students who need you more than our students need you. Are you ready to prove possibility?
- Facilitate learning through masterful delivery of instruction.
- Take both the initiative and the direction to perform other tasks and assume other responsibilities as needed in order to unlock the potential inside each of our students.
- Communicate regularly and effectively with students, parents, caregivers and colleagues to strategically build solutions in response to setbacks, in order to ensure that yesterday is never today.
- Create a classroom culture defined by rigorous academics, unyielding support and joy! Hold students to high behavioral, academic, and character standards at all times.
- Use backward design and project-based learning to develop rigorous, relevant and engaging units, projects, and lessons.
- Design and use appropriate assessments to track, monitor, and modify instruction in support of student learning goals.
- Think, speak and act with genuine curiosity, open-mindedness and empathy.
- Receive and apply regular, ongoing feedback and support from colleagues.
- Participate in summer professional development, retreats, curriculum planning, team meetings, academic conferences, school-wide events, open houses, parent teacher conferences, student-led conferences, school trips, home visits and occasional student overnight retreats.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Valid NY State Teaching Certification.
- 2+ years of successful full-time classroom teaching experience preferred.
- Prior experience working with/for high school students in an urban setting required. Experience working with disconnected populations strongly preferred.
CHARACTERISTICS & SKILLS
- Absolutely on fire about our mission.
- Entrepreneurial. Magnetized by challenge, ambiguity, complexity and change.
- Optimistic in the face of adversity.
- Ability to inspire, challenge and support others to meet goals.
- Exemplary oral and written communication skills.
- Insatiable work ethic, resilience and stamina in the pursuit of excellence.
- Self-starter, resourceful, organized and detail-oriented. Ability to meet deadlines, work under time pressure and prioritize without losing sight of other responsibilities.
- Sophisticated analytical, strategic and problem solving skills. Unapologetic commitment to data-driven decision making and instruction.
- Humble, reflective and hungry to continuously improve.
- Great sense of humor. Seriously.
ROADS is an equal opportunity employer, and we hire without consideration of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Would you like to apply to this job?
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include preferred location (Brooklyn or Bronx) as well as teaching area in the subject of email.